- Represented a major Canadian general contractor for many years in connection with various legal matters, including the development, and later development and expansion, of a casino (including the resolution of claims and disputes), and advising on AFP proposals for the development of a courthouse and an educational facility.
- Represented a major Canadian mechanical/electrical trade contractor for many years in connection with various agreements, including the negotiation of the contracts for the fit-out of a complex medical research facility using the integrated team approach, the development of a wind farm facility in Southwestern Ontario, a number of joint venture and alliancing arrangements, and a substantial P3 for the development of three hospitals in British Columbia.
- Facilitated the achievement of consensus between two industry associations, representing general contractors and trade subcontractors respectively, for the submission of a joint proposal to the Ontario government concerning proposed prompt payment legislation.
- Led a team of counsel representing an EPC contractor in the resolution of claims in excess of $20M arising in connection with the design and construction of two solar farm projects in Ontario.
- Led a team of counsel representing a U.S.-based EPC contractor in the successful defence of claims in excess of $10M arising in connection with the construction of a gas-fired cogeneration facility in Ontario.
- Led a team of counsel representing a U.S.-based general contractor in the resolution of various multi-million dollar claims arising in connection with the design and construction of a paint shop for a Big 3 automotive manufacturer in Ontario.
- Represented one of Canada’s largest general contractors in the successful negotiated resolution of claims arising in connection with the cancellation of a politically high-profile contract for the design and construction of a bridge in Toronto.
- Represented a major Canadian food retailer in the resolution of numerous liens and other problems arising over more than a dozen ongoing projects in consequence of the insolvency of the general contractor it had retained.
- Represented a church providing procurement, contractual and claims avoidance and resolution advice in an ongoing multi-phase development of a Cathedral/community centre complex in Toronto.
- Lead counsel representing a pipe fitting trade contractor in the prosecution of a lien claim in excess of $10 million in connection with the construction of a cogeneration facility in Ontario.
- Ongoing general business advice for various clients, including having served on the board of the Canadian subsidiary of a prominent U.S. design-build firm and serving as an advisor to the management of a prominent Ontario trade contracting firm, as well as board-level, committee and task force participation in the Canadian Construction Association, Consulting Engineers of Ontario, Ontario General Contractors Association and the Toronto Construction Association.
Geza R. BanfaiCounsel, Construction & Infrastructure
Toronto 416.865.7806 email@example.com