- Acting as Québec counsel to major global manufacturers in connection with their product liability and consumer protection litigations;
- Representing leading pharmaceutical companies in class proceedings involving product liability allegations and misrepresentation;
- Counsel in class actions alleging false representations and damages claims;
- Acting in national class actions based on price fixing and antitrust allegations;
- Advising clients on highly complex commercial litigation
Joséane Chrétien is a leading litigation lawyer with extensive experience in complex class actions. She represents clients in disputes involving breaches of the Consumer Protection Act and the Competition Act, product liability issues, cartels, and false representations. Her broad industry knowledge spans the pharmaceutical, banking and finance, manufacturing and retail sectors. She worked several years for both plaintiffs and defendants, giving her a unique insight to develop practical and effective strategies.
Also highly experienced in general commercial litigation, Joséane acts in contract and shareholder disputes. She has appeared before the Court of Québec, the Superior Court of Québec, the Court of Appeal and the Régie de l’énergie. Her publications have been cited in various court judgments. The legal directory Best Lawyers in Canada consistently recognizes Joséane as a leading lawyer in corporate and commercial litigation.
La gestion particulière de l’instance en action collective en Cour supérieure du Québec (Division de Montréal) ainsi qu’en Cour fédérale du Canada. Moderator of the panel of judges with Donald Bisson and Paul Crampon, Colloque national sur l’action collective 2021October 21, 2021
Démystifier l’action collective, Webinar, Co-presenter with Sidney ElbazJanuary 20, 2021
Le jugement et l’exécution comme troisième étape de l’action – un guide pratique. Co-presenter with Karine Chênevert, Gabrielle Gagné and Marie-Anaïs Sauvé, Colloque national sur l’action collective 2020October 23, 2020
Actions collectives en santé : État des lieux, Québec Bar Professional Education online2019
Critical disability studies, Health law and human enhancement Doctoral school of health law annual seminar, Neuchâtel, SwitzerlandMay 17, 2018
Designer Babies: Creating the Children of our Dream McGill-Ottawa Health Law & Policy Graduate Student Colloquium, Ottawa, CanadaMay 4, 2018
Encadrement juridique de l’amélioration humaine à l’époque post-darwinienne. Conference, Florence, ItalyMay 18, 2017
Legislation of Human Enhancement in the post-darwinian era Doctoral school of health law annual seminar, Florence, ItalyMay 18, 2017
Legislation of Human Enhancement: a Healthy Concern? McGill-Ottawa Health Law & Policy Graduate Student Colloquium, Montréal, CanadaMay 4, 2017
Mise en quarantaine et isolement sanitaire, de quel droit? Colloque "Les pandémies et le droit" organized by University of SherbrookeNovember 6, 2015
L’autorisation d’un recours collectif – au-delà des automatismes, co-speaker with Jean-Philippe Groleau, Congrès du Jeune Barreau de MontréalMay 28, 2015
L’art du recours collectif et nouvelles tendances, co-speaker with Violette Leblanc, Grands rendez-vous de la formationFebruary 13, 2014
Jurisprudence marquante de 2012-2013 en matière de recours collectifs, co-speaker with Jean-Philippe Lincourt,October 1, 2013
Jurisprudence marquante de l’année 2012 en matière de recours collectifs, co-speaker with Jean-Philippe Lincourt, Colloque sur les recours collectifsMarch 21, 2013
- “Demande de recours collectif contre Samsung,” by Radio-Canada, Droit Inc., February 27, 2020
Rankings & Recognition
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada (2023) as a leading lawyer in the area of Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada (2017-2022) as a leading lawyer in the area of Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Acting on behalf of women health care clinics in the constitutional challenge of the “bubble zone” implemented according to the Act respecting health services and social services
Directorships & Affiliations
- Complaint revision committee, Quebec Bar, since September 2018
- Co-President, Oxford and Cambridge Society of Montréal (2015-2022)
- President, Town of Mont-Royal Figure Skating Club, since 2016
- President of the Young Bar of Montreal (2009-10)
Education & Admissions
- “Managing and Resolving Commercial Disputes; Good faith contractual performance chapter – 2022 Edition,” Financier World (2022)
- “Secret d’état, Privilège parlementaire et Secret du délibéré”, in the Claude Marseille (dir.), Les objections à la preuve, chapitres 9, 10 et 11, Montréal, Lexis Nexis Canada, pages 153 – 172. (2021)
- “Recouvrement collectif ou individuel : commentaires sur la 3e étape d’une action collective.” co-auteure avec K. Chênevert dans Colloque national sur l’action collective, Développements récents au Québec, au Canada et aux États-Unis, Vol. 480, Montréal, Yvon Blais, pages 223 – 251. (2020)
- “Hypothèque légale de l’État ou de personnes morales de droit public.” in the JurisClasseur Québec Collection Droit civil – Sûretés, Fascicule 12, Montréal, Lexis-Nexis Canada, Éd. feuilles mobiles.
- “Contestation et défaut du défendeur.” dans JurisClasseur Québec – Collection Droit civil – Procédure civile 1, Fascicule 15, Montréal, Lexis-Nexis Canada, Éd. feuilles mobiles.
- “L’aveu.” in the JurisClasseur Québec – Collection Droit civil – Preuve et prescription, fascicule 8, Montréal, Lexis-Nexis Canada, Éd. feuilles mobiles.
- “Proportionality and Québec Class Actions – Where do we Stand?” Class Action Defense Quarterly, Newsletter, LexisNexis Canada (March 2010)
- “Les recours collectifs – la jurisprudence en évolution.” coauthor with S. Conte and K. Taylor, in the La réforme du Code de procédure civile, trois ans plus tard, Service de formation continue du Barreau du Québec 2006, Montréal, Éditions Yvon Blais, pp. 21 – 60 (2006)
Insights (8 Posts)
New amendments to the Competition Act were passed today as part of the budget implementation bill.
Join members of McMillan’s national Class Action group on Thursday, June 9th for an in-depth discussion on the developments and trends impacting the legal landscape for class actions in Canada.
The Canadian federal government has introduced a series of significant changes to Canada's Competition Act.
EIn class actions, the right to examine an affiant is the subject of conflicting case law.
Managing Disputes During COVID-19
While disputes are an unavoidable risk of doing business, companies need to know how to protect their interests during this time of uncertainty.
In the field of class actions, new actions are being undertaken, adding an additional challenge to businesses.
Since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, the situation has evolved rapidly, and the extent of the legal and economic consequences for businesses and their operations remains uncertain.
Overview of the recent decision of the Supreme Court of Canada in R.S. v. P.R., 2019 SCC 49 regarding the international lis pendens exception in Quebec private international law.
Get updates delivered right to your inbox. You can unsubscribe at any time.