- Acting as Québec counsel to major global manufacturers in connection with their product liability and consumer protection litigations;
- Representing a leading pharmaceutical company in a class proceeding involving product liability allegations;
- Counsel in class actions alleging false representations and damages claims;
- Acting in national class actions based on price fixing and antitrust allegations;
- Advising clients on highly complex commercial litigation
Joséane Chrétien is a leading litigation lawyer with extensive experience in complex class actions. She represents clients in disputes involving breaches of the Consumer Protection Act and the Competition Act, product liability issues, cartels, and false representations. Her broad industry knowledge spans the banking and finance, manufacturing and retail sectors. She worked several years for both plaintiffs and defendants, giving her a unique insight to develop practical and effective strategies.
Also highly experienced in general commercial litigation, Joséane acts in contract and shareholder disputes. She has appeared before the Court of Québec, the Superior Court of Québec, its Court of Appeal and the Régie de l’énergie. Her publications have been cited in various court judgments. The legal directory Best Lawyers in Canada consistently recognizes Joséane as a leading lawyer in corporate and commercial litigation.
Démystify class actions, Webinar, to be presented by Joséane Chrétien Sidney Elbaz (in French)January 20, 2021
Judgment on the merits : a practical guide to the 3rd step of class actions, National Conference on Class Actions 2020, Webinar, panelistOctober 23, 2020
Critical disability studies, Health law and human enhancement Doctoral school of health law annual seminar, Neuchâtel, SwitzerlandMay 17, 2018
Designer Babies: Creating the Children of our Dream McGill-Ottawa Health Law & Policy Graduate Student Colloquium, Ottawa, CanadaMay 4, 2018
Legislation of Human Enhancement in the post-darwinian era Doctoral school of health law annual seminar, Florence, ItalyMay 18, 2017
Legislation of Human Enhancement: a Healthy Concern? McGill-Ottawa Health Law & Policy Graduate Student Colloquium, Montréal, CanadaMay 4, 2017
- “Demande de recours collectif contre Samsung,” by Radio-Canada, Droit Inc., February 27, 2020
Rankings & Recognition
- Recognized by the Best Lawyers in Canada (2021) as a leading lawyer in the area of Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada (2020) as a leading lawyer in the area of Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada (2017-2019), Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Acting on behalf of women health care clinics in the constitutional challenge of the “bubble zone” implemented according to the Act respecting health services and social services
Directorships & Affiliations
- Complaint revision committee, Quebec Bar, since September 2018
- President of the Salon Visez Droit, Montréal Bar, since 2018 (member of the organizing committee since 2015)
- Co-President, Oxford and Cambridge Society of Montréal, since 2015
- President, Town of Mont-Royal Figure Skating Club, since 2016
- President of the Young Bar of Montreal (2009-10)
Education & Admissions
- “Contestation and default of the defendant, in JurisClasseur Québec – Collection Droit civil – Procedure civile 1,” Fascicule 15, Montréal, LexisNexis Canada, 2015, Loose leaf volume (available in French only) (2020)
- “Admission, in JurisClasseur Québec – Collection Droit civil – Evidence et prescription ,” Fascicule 8, Montréal, LexisNexis Canada, 2012, Loose leaf volume (available in French only) (2020)
- “Legal hypothec of the state or of legal persons established in the public interest, in JurisClasseur Québec Collection Droit civil – Sûretés ,” Fascicule 12, Montréal, LexisNexis Canada, 2011, Loose leaf volume (available in French only) (2020)
- “Secret d’état, Privilège parlementaire et Secret du délibéré,” Claude Marseille (dir.), December 2015
- “Les objections à la preuve (chapitres 9, 10 et 11, pages 153 à 172),” LexisNexis Canada, December 2015
- “Contestation et défaut du défendeur,” dans JurisClasseur Québec – Collection Droit civil (Procédure civile 1, fascicule 15), LexisNexis Canada, Éd. feuilles mobiles, April 2015
- “L’aveu,” dans JurisClasseur Québec – Collection Droit civil (Preuve et prescription, fascicule 8), LexisNexis Canada, Éd. feuilles mobiles, December 2012
- “Hypothèque légale de l’État ou de personnes morales de droit public,” JurisClasseur Québec, Collection Droit civil (Sûretés, fascicule 12), LexisNexis Canada, Éd. feuilles mobiles, December 2011
- “Proportionality and Québec Class Actions – Where do we Stand?,” Class Action Defense Quarterly Newsletter, LexisNexis Canada, March 2010
- “Les recours collectifs – la jurisprudence en évolution, dans La réforme du Code de procédure civile, trois ans plus tard,” (pages 21 – 60), 2006
- “S. Conte et K. Taylor,” Service de formation continue du Barreau du Québec (2006), Éditions Yvon Blais, 2006
Insights by Joséane Chrétien (4 Posts)
While disputes are an unavoidable risk of doing business, companies need to know how to protect their interests during this time of uncertainty.
In the field of class actions, new actions are being undertaken, adding an additional challenge to businesses.
Since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, the situation has evolved rapidly, and the extent of the legal and economic consequences for businesses and their operations remains uncertain.
Overview of the recent decision of the Supreme Court of Canada in R.S. v. P.R., 2019 SCC 49 regarding the international lis pendens exception in Quebec private international law.
Get updates delivered right to your inbox. You can unsubscribe at any time.