- Awada v Glaeser, 2017 ONSC 1094 (CanLII)
- Ennis v. Drain-All Ltd., 2013 HRTO 1913 (CanLII)
- Donald Osmun v. ING Engineering Inc. and Director of Employment Standards, 2013 CanLII 23884 (ON LRB) – 2013-04-26
- Green, Kenneth v. Greensmere Golf & Country Club et al, September 28, 2012 (Motion for Leave to Appeal Refused – ONCA M41400)
- Osmun v. ING Engineering Inc., 2012 HRTO 1663 (CanLII) – 2012-09-04
- Green v. Green, 2012 ONSC 1099 (CanLII) — 2012-03-12
- Benazzouz et al c. C.E.P.E.O., 2010 ONSC 49 (CanLII) — 2010-01-14
- Wang v. Wu, 2009 CanLII 54764 (ON SC) — 2009-10-09
- Filanovsky v. Filanovsky, 2009 CanLII 27822 (ON SC) — 2009-06-01
- Al-Ebadi v. Zahran, 2009 CanLII 10985 (ON SC) — 2009-03-13
- Filanovsky v. Filanovsky, 2009 CanLII 9457 (ON SC) — 2009-01-20
- The Adult Entertainment Association of Canada v. Ottawa (City), 2007 ONCA 389 (CanLII) — 2007-05-24
- Bettencourt v. Ottawa (City), 2005 CanLII 32929 (ON SC) — 2005-09-14
Martin Thompson maintains a dynamic employment law and labour relations practice, as well as a litigation and dispute resolution practice focused on complex corporate matters and product liability litigation. Assisting clients from a range of industries, he has particularly deep industry knowledge in the technology, finance, insurance, and retail sectors.
An experienced employment and labour relations lawyer, Martin advises domestic and international clients on diverse matters, including executive compensation, workplace investigations, harassment and discrimination, employee discipline, wrongful dismissal litigation and workplace arbitrations. He also provides guidance on the drafting of employment agreements, policies and compensation, including executive equity plans, employee termination and severance packages, and matters relating to health and safety and human rights in the workplace.
Martin has appeared before the Superior Court, the Divisional Court and the Court of Appeal for Ontario. He represents employers before administrative boards and tribunals, including the Ontario Labour Relations Board, the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board, the Workplace Safety and Appeals Tribunal and the Financial Services Commission of Ontario.
An active contributor to McMillan’s professional development programs, Martin mentors law students and associates. He is also an active member of different community charitable organizations. Martin is the Ottawa Office Management Partner since January 2016.
Settlement Tips, Tricks and PitfallsJune 18, 2020
Back to Basics: Rules of Evidence in Employment Trials and ArbitrationsJune 10, 2020
Challenging Accommodation Requests: Exploring Recent Trends and Unusual CasesJune 9, 2020
"Like" #whatwasIthinking: Social Media's Growing Role in Litigation The Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario 28th Annual Conference, Ottawa, OntarioMay 4, 2018
Medical Marijuana in the Workplace Infonex – Managing Your Duty to Accommodate: Mitigating the Increasing Expense to Organizations for Failing to Accommodate Employees, Ottawa, OntarioMarch 28, 2018
6 Minute Employment Lawyer Duty to Accommodate, Ottawa, OntarioSeptember 21, 2017
Share Purchase and Asset Purchase Transactions: Employment and Labour Considerations CACE Future Leaders Conference, Montréal, QuébecMay 6, 2017
Up in Smoke: Medical Marijuana in the Workplace Infonex Duty to Accommodate Conference, Ottawa, OntarioMarch 29, 2017
20 Hot Cases Every Corporate Counsel Should Know Speaker, Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC)November 7, 2013
Employees vs. Independent Contractors – The "New" Golden Rule of Employer-Worker Relations Speaker, McMillan's Annual Employment and Labour Seminar, Toronto, OntarioOctober 22, 2013
Random Alcohol and Drug Testing in the Workplace Presenter, The Six-Minute Employment Lawyer 2013September 19, 2013
Employees Gone Wild – Off-Duty Conduct and Employee Discipline McMillan Annual Employment and Labour SeminarOctober 23, 2012
The Construction Lien Act Ottawa Construction Association Fall Seminar, Ottawa, OntarioOctober 22, 2010
Corporate Social Responsibility in the University Context and its Legal Implications Council of Ontario University Secretaries (COUS) Conference, University of Guelph-HumberFebruary 18, 2010
Judicial Consideration - Educational Malpractice: An Update 2009 Canadian Association of University Solicitors (CAUS) Conference, St. John's, NewfoundlandOctober 1, 2009
Contester la validité d'un règlement municipal : une défaite inévitable? 28 e Congrès annuel de l'Association des juristes d'expression française de l'Ontario (AJEFO) : les arts, la culture et la ville, Ottawa, OntarioJune 2007
Academic Misconduct: Recent Trends Canadian Association of University Solicitors Conference, Kingston, OntarioSeptember 2006
“SCC ruling will impact on business asset purchasers – Focus on commercial & Corporate Law“, Law Times, February 25, 2019
“The Changing Face of Legal Leadership in Ottawa – Ottawa HR Update“, Ottawa Business Journal, November 6, 2017
“2017 Ottawa Best Offices: McMillan LLP’s Ottawa office blends form and function“, Ottawa Business Journal, October 2017
“Avoiding the pitfalls of white-collar overtime” by Elizabeth Howell, Ottawa HR, page 8-9, June 23, 2014
Rankings & Recognition
- McMillan Leadership and Mentoring Award 2012
- United Way
- Lawyers Feed the Hungry
- Lawyers for Kids Charity Hockey Tournament – YMCA-YWCA of the National Capital Region
Directorships & Affiliations
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Canadian Bar Association / Ontario Bar Association
- County of Carleton Law Association (CCLA)
- Association des juristes d’expression française de l’Ontario (AJEFO)
- Board Member, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (CACE)
- Chair, County of Carleton Law Association (CCLA) Awards Committee
Education & Admissions
- “Tests aléatoires de dépistage d’alcool : la Cour suprême se prononce,” Ordre des conseillers en ressources humaines agréés, VigieRT, Numéro 79 (June 2013)
- “Gauthier v. Saint-Germain: A Forthcoming Lesson from the Supreme Court of Canada on Educational Malpractice?,” (January 2011)
- “Judge Reserves Decision,” Featured, The Whig Standard, Sue Yanagisawa, November 13, 2009 (November 2009)
- “Pro Bono: Le rouet de la justice,” Featured, Barreau du haut-Canada (2009)
Insights by Martin J. Thompson* (11 Posts)
This annual workshop addresses significant legal developments and provides practical advice on responding to employee issues.
Employment and Labour Seminar Series: Montréal
This seminar provides valuable practical advice to all employers seeking guidance on best practices in their workplace.
Employment and Labour Seminar Series: Toronto
Join us as we discuss significant legal developments and provide practical advice on critical issues facing employers in Canada.
Employment and Labour Seminar Series: Montréal.
“Don’t Worry, We All Know What That Clause Means” – Court Reaffirms The Importance of Carefully Drafting Fixed-Term Employment Agreements
Businesses and employees alike have been repeatedly reminded by their lawyers that employment contracts must be carefully and clearly drafted.
In Nemeth v Hatch Ltd the Court of Appeal found the termination clause in the plaintiff's employment contract limited his notice entitlement.
Who Says An Offer of Employment Can’t Be Fair Consideration? The Ontario Court of Appeal Weighs In On Asset Purchase Transactions and Employment Contracts
Who Says An Offer of Employment Can't Be Fair Consideration? The Ontario Court of Appeal Weighs In On Asset Purchase Transactions and Employment Contracts
Bonus Claims: Past Practice Gets A Boost
Please join us for a practical and in-depth discussion aimed at HR professionals, in-house counsel and operations managers, who want to prepare and better understand how Bill1 48 will impact their business.
New Ontario Workplace Legislation to Impact Use of Contract and Temporary Workers
Notice: New Employment Standards Act Requirement on Employers Effective June 19, 2015
Get updates delivered right to your inbox. You can unsubscribe at any time.