- Advised a privator owner in the sale of a residential rental portfolio for $300 millions
- Advised the Broccolini group in the acquisition of a vacant lot in downtown Montréal for $100 million
- Advised The Manufacturers Life Insurance Company in the $135 million acquisition financing of the 1100 René Lévesque Street, Montréal
- Affiliate of Novacap, Caisse de dépôt and BSCP amalgamates with iWeb
- Windsor Station sold to Cadillac Fairview by Canadian Pacific
- Advised Realstar Properties Limited in the acquisition of two multiresidential properties comprising 174 units
- Created 628 Saint-Jacques mixed-use co-ownership (condominiums)
- Created 700 Saint-Jacques mixed-use co-ownership (condominiums)
- Created L/Avenue mixed-use co-ownership (condominiums)
- Created Aquablu residential co-ownership (condominiums)
- Creation of the residential co-ownership (condominiums) Mairon Terra
- Created Altoria co-ownership (condominiums)
- Financing for the acquisition by Réseau Sélection of the Masterpiece retirement home portfolio
- Financing for the construction of Carré Saint-Laurent multi-phase co-ownership (condominiums)
- Financing for the construction of Arbora Griffintown multi-phase co-ownership (condominiums)
- Financing for the construction of various retirement homes in the province of Québec
- Financing for the construction of Complexe ABB in the City of Saint-Laurent
- Financing of major real estate assets, including multi-residential complex as well as industrial, commercial and office buildings
Sonia Rainville is an experienced commercial real estate legal counsel with 30 years experience in the acquisition, financing and leasing of real estate properties. She represents financial institutions, promoters, developers and owners of co-ownerships (condominiums), retirement homes, and commercial leasing companies. Sonia is recognized as a leading legal counsel in real estate law by Best Lawyers in Canada.
Sonia acts for clients in large co-ownership (condominium), commercial and mixed-use projects. With expertise in land use planning, she also advises on the development of vacant sites and redevelopment of existing properties.
Also serving clients in the infrastructure and retail sectors, Sonia acts for wind farms and pipelines, as well as telecommunications and energy distribution networks.
Montréal Real Estate Forum, Session 3: Let's talk about tax, ModeratorJune 13, 2023
Examen des titres immobiliers : Questions et obligations contemporaines pour l'examinateur de titres (Examination of Real Estate Titles: Contemporary questions and obligations of the title examiner)November 2019
Immeubles à usage mixte, Taxes au développement et Expropriation déguisée, Co-presentor with Roger Plamondon and Carole LambertSeptember 2019
Practical considerations when developing a property. Round Table Discussion in Commercial Real Estate, organized by the Québec Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel.March 2019
Rankings & Recognition
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada (2024) as a leading lawyer in the area of Real Estate Law
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada (2023) as a leading lawyer in the area of Real Estate Law
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada (2022) as a leading lawyer in the area of Real Estate Law
- Recognized by the Best Lawyers in Canada (2021) as a leader in the area of Real Estate Law
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada (2020) as a leader in the area of Real Estate Law
- 2017 Laureate of the CREW M Excellence Gala, category Excellence and Leadership
- Member, Weekend to End Women’s Cancers committee benefitting the Jewish General Hospital’s Segal Cancer Centre
- Member, Women Against Multiple Sclerosis (Chair, 2012-2013 and 2013-2014)
- Director, Board of Directors of the Quebec Division of the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada
Directorships & Affiliations
- Member, Chambre des notaires du Québec
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Board of Trade of Metropolitain Montréal
- Member, CREW Montréal (Commercial Real Estate Women network)
- Member, Réseau des Femmes d’affaires du Québec
- Member, Urban Development Institute of Québec
- Member, International Council of Shopping Centers
- Fellow, American College of Mortgage Attorneys
Education & Admissions
- “Thinking of Industrial Development? Here are a few pitfalls to avoid,” Espace Montreal, Vol. 31 No. 2, pp. 68-71 (July 2022)
Insights (4 Posts)View More
Commercial Real Estate Conference – Environmental Management of a Real Estate Development Project: How to Avoid Surprises?
Our Commercial Real Estate, Environment and Litigation teams, in collaboration with Nvira, a multidisciplinary engineering consultancy firm in environmental sciences, will discuss possible solutions at our next conference.
McMillan’s Commercial Real Estate and Litigation & Dispute Resolution teams are offering a conference on a variety of current issues relating to real estate development and BOMA Standards.
Even in the summer months, the legal news does not let up. Here are some recent decisions and legislative developments as we head into the 2021 fall season.
Real Estate Developments: Challenges and Potential Solutions.
Deals & Cases (1 Posts)
Get updates delivered right to your inbox. You can unsubscribe at any time.