- Financing of, and restructuring for, Greenlane Renewables, a company in the RNG business.
- Securities and M&A advice for West Fraser in connection with a shareholder rights plan (poison pill) and acquisition of Norbord. (2020)
- Acted for Jiangxi Copper in an acquisition of a minority interest in First Quantum valued at $2 billion. (2019)
- Acted for Creation Capital Corp. in the acquisition of Greenlane, a renewable natural gas company from a London AIM listed company and subsequent listing and financing in Canada. (2019)
- Acted for Jiangxi Copper in connection with its bid for Nevsun Resources. (2018)
- Counsel for Aurora Cannabis Inc. in connection with acquiring rival producer MedReleaf Corp. in a transaction valued at more than $2.5 billion. (2018)
- Acted for Great Panther Silver Limited in connection with acquisition of Australia miner, Beadell Resources. (2018)
- Acted for Loop Energy, a hydrogen fuel company, in establishing a joint venture and non-exclusive license agreement with IN-Power, a leading power electronics supplier to the transport sector in China. (2018)
- Acted as lead counsel for Chongqing Zongshen Tianchen General Aviation Investment and Development Co., Ltd. in its acquisition of a 49% equity interest in Harbour Air, of Vancouver, BC (2018)
- Acted for Tour East on becoming the first Canadian travel company to be listed on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. (2017)
- Acted for Novoheart, a Hong Kong stem cell company, in securing a TSXV listing (2016)
- Acted for Beijing Properties, a HK Stock Exchange company, in connection with a listing of a subsidiary on the TSXV and a US$700 million property development deal in Cuba. (2016)
- Acted for Zongshen, a Chinese conglomerate based in Chongqing, China, in acquiring economic and voting interests of Harbour Air Seaplanes in compliance with Canadian ownership and control requirements. (2015)
- Acted for the derivatives of Sino-Forest, one of the leading commercial forest plantation operators in China, on a corporate fraud case involving proceedings in front of the Ontario Securities Commission. (2015)
- Acted for West Fraser Timber Co. Ltd. in its private offering of US$300 million Senior Notes (2014)
- Acted as lead counsel for Sunwah International Limited in an insider takeover bid of Sunwah International Limited by Perfect Dream Holdings Limited (2014)
- Acted for Red Rock Capital Corp. in its $32.5 million private placement, $74 million financing and acquisition of Century Holdings involving WISCO and Minmet. (2011)
- In November 2010, acted as lead counsel, as to Canadian legal matters, for Citigroup Global Markets Asia Limited and BOC International, joint bookrunners and joint lead managers, in the US$309 million global offering of China Gold International Resources Corp. Ltd., currently listed on the TSX. The transaction involved a dual primary listing on the Main Board of the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong and the completion of a concurrent US$742.3 million acquisition of Skyland Mining Limited (“Skyland”) whose chief asset is a copper polymetallic metal mining property located in Metrorkongka County, Tibet.
- Act as lead counsel for Primero Mining Corp., a TSX listed, and Canadian-based, precious metals producer with operations in Mexico. In August 2010, assisted Primero in the acquisition of the San Dimas gold-silver mine and associated assets, which are located in Mexico’s San Dimas district. The acquisition was valued at US$510 million.
- Act as lead counsel for China Health Labs & Diagnostics Ltd., a TSX-V issuer. Assisted in the Qualifying Transaction involving Beijing Biochem Hengye Science & Technology Co. Ltd. in October 2010, the resulting issuer being China Health Labs & Diagnostics Ltd.
- Act as lead counsel for Liuyang Fireworks Limited, which is the resulting issuer in the Qualifying Transaction involving New Legend Group Limited and Strive Best Holdings Limited in June 2009. Liuyang, through its subsidiaries, is engaged in the business of the manufacture and sale of fireworks.
- Acted as counsel to the agent, Research Capital Corp, in two going public transactions involving Asia Bio-Chem Group Corp. (TSX), a Chinese cornstarch producer and Changfeng Energy Inc. (TSX-V), a Chinese natural gas service provider. (2008)
- Act as lead securities counsel for West Fraser Timber Co. Ltd., a major British Columbia forestry company. In 2004 completed a $275 million subscription receipt offering and a $150 million senior unsecured debentures offering. (2004)
- Acted as lead Canadian counsel for IsoTis S.A., a public company incorporated under the laws of Switzerland with shares listed on the Main Board of The SWX Swiss Exchange and the Toronto Stock Exchange. In 2003, acted for IsoTis pursuant to its plan of arrangement with GenSci Regeneration Sciences Inc. (a British Columbia company) in completing its acquisition of GenSci OrthoBiologics Inc., a Washington corporation, which was renamed IsoTis OrthoBiologics Inc.
- In August 2000, acted as lead Canadian counsel for Sunwah International Limited (formerly known as Kingsway International Holdings Limited) in connection with a reorganization and ultimate listing of a Kingsway subsidiary on the Main Board of the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong. In connection with the transaction, $60 million was raised. Headquartered in Hong Kong and listed on the TSX, the Sunwah Group is involved in a wide variety of financial advisory and related services, including corporate finance, stock broking, financing and fund management.
Stephen D. Wortley
He | HimChair, Hong Kong Office
Partner, Capital Markets & Securities | Chief Client Officer
Expertise Capital Markets & Securities Energy Mergers & Acquisitions Mining Startups & Emerging Companies