- Tax counsel to Canadian FinTech company in connection with its IPO
- Tax counsel to US-based acquiror of Canadian publicly traded company via an exchangeable share transaction
- Tax counsel to US-based producer in its sale of Canadian oil sands and gas assets for total proceeds of $17 billion
- Tax counsel to Canadian-based producer in connection with the sale of royalty interests for $1.8 billion
- Tax counsel to Canadian environmental solutions company in connection with a $3.5 billion recapitalization transaction
- Tax counsel to Canadian publicly traded pipeline company in connection with $3.2 billion corporate acquisition
- Tax counsel to underwriters in connection a $175-million issuance of medium term notes by a publicly traded energy infrastructure company
Ted Thiessen is a partner in the Calgary and Vancouver office and a member of the Tax Group. Recognized as a leading lawyer in the area of tax law by Best Lawyers in Canada (2019-2021), Ted regularly advises Canadian-based multi-national groups and private equity investors with respect to the tax aspects of corporate mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, reorganizations and financing transactions. Ted’s practice focuses on transactions involving the resource sector, and he represents a number of clients with upstream and midstream related assets and investments.
A secondary focus of Ted’s practice involves advising established and emerging businesses on the design and implementation of long-term incentive plans.
Resource Partnership DissolutionsCanadian Petroleum Tax Society Fall Lecture Series (presenter)
Capital Gains ExemptionCanadian Petroleum Tax Society Fall Lecture Series (presenter)
Partnership Reorganizations and Wind-UpsTax Executives Institute (Calgary) (presenter)
The Tax Treatment of IntangiblesCanadian Petroleum Tax Society Annual Conference, (co-presenter)
The Functional Currency Rules: A PrimerPrairie Provinces Tax Conference, (co-presenter)
Rankings & Recognitions
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in Canada 2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022: Tax Law.
- South Bow River Softball Association (Coach)
- Fish Creek Little League (Coach)
Directorships & Affiliations
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Canadian Petroleum Tax Foundation
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
Education & Admissions
- “In-brief: post acquisition planning in Canada”, Lexology (co-author)
- “Q&A: tax on acquisitions in Canada”, Lexology (co-author)
- “Canadian Tax – The 75% Wage Subsidy”, Gowling WLG Bulletin (co-author)
- “Canadian Oil & Gas Law and Practice”, Chambers Global Practice Guide 2016 (coauthor)
Get updates delivered right to your inbox. You can unsubscribe at any time.