- Representing a US investor in an ICSID arbitration against Mongolia under the US-Mongolia Bilateral Investment Treaty.
- Representing a publicly listed health care provider in a complex ICC arbitration proceeding related to corporate financing transactions.
- Represented an international heavy-oil exploration and development company in its high value ICC arbitration against a sovereign state and state-owned oil company
- Acted as counsel for a large Canadian aerospace company in the Supreme Court of British Columbia and domestic arbitration proceedings regarding disclosure of confidential financial information
- Represented a Vancouver based sporting club in an application for a stay of litigation proceedings in the Supreme Court of British Columbia
- Represented the Libya Africa Investment Company (LAICO), a Libyan state-owned asset management company, in multiple claims in Vaduz, Liechtenstein relating to unlawful director appointments by rival factions during the Libyan civil war
- Advised a junior international gold mining company on strategy relating to enforcement of an ICSID arbitration award and subsequent settlement agreement with a sovereign state
- Represented the Libya Africa Investment Portfolio (LAIP), a large Libyan sovereign wealth fund, in successfully defending a US$ 500 million claim for breach of a consultancy agreement in the English High Court
- Represented a large Saudi Arabian chemical manufacturer in a high value and complex LCIA arbitration relating to the use of licensed technology
- Advised a Quebec based iron ore service company in its Singapore seated international arbitration regarding a dispute under an iron ore sale contract
- Represented a large Libyan state-owned company in multiple complex, multiparty, multi-jurisdictional international arbitrations involving substantive issues of bribery, frustration and sanctions
- Advised a junior Canadian international oil and gas company on a multi-jurisdictional dispute plan arising from a contemplated transaction for an exploration block in Iraq
J. Thomas HatfieldPartner, International Arbitration & Cross-Border Litigation
Vancouver 604.235.3027 email@example.com
Expertise Construction & Infrastructure Corporate Commercial Litigation International Arbitration & Cross-Border Litigation Energy Mining