- counsel to a short-listed proponent in connection with their bid for the provision of Rolling Stock, Systems and Operation and Maintenance Services for the Réseau électrique métropolitain de Montréal LRT P3 project
- counsel to the finance parties in the $4.2 billion New Bridge for the St. Lawrence Corridor (Champlain Bridge) Project, a P3 project to design, build, finance, operate, maintain and rehabilitate a new bridge to replace the existing Champlain Bridge
- counsel to a consortium in connection with their bid to design, build, finance and operate an anaerobic digestion facility
- counsel to the equity sponsors and construction parties in connection with the corporate structuring, financing and construction of a series of new multi-residential developments in Montreal
- counsel to a Canadian mining company in connection with its cross-border factoring arrangements
- counsel to a Canadian-based mining company in a US$120 million amended and restated credit facility
- counsel to an electrical distribution and services company in connection with a $1.14 billion acquisition financing
- counsel to a foreign bank in a US$1.6 billion cross-border financing of a global car rental company
- counsel to an US bank in a US$275 million asset-based credit facility to a beverage company
- counsel to an international insurance company in the $2.6 billion sale of its Canadian operations
- counsel to a Canadian insurance company in a $30 million acquisition of assets
- counsel to a Quebec-based technology company in a $2.25 million financing by way of a loan and the sale of share purchase warrants
- counsel to a private equity firm in connection with the financing of its acquisition of a service provider in the telecommunications industry
- counsel to the representative office of a foreign bank in connection with annual OSFI submissions
Yonatan (Yoni) Petel is recognized as a leading lawyer in financial services and business law with extensive experience in project finance in the construction and public-private partnerships (P3) spaces. He is recognized for his expertise in asset-based lending in Best Lawyers in Canada and the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory.
With a corporate practice that involves all aspects of business law, Yoni advises on mergers and acquisitions, private equity investments, business entity formations and corporate reorganizations.
Yoni’s financial services practice covers a broad range of domestic and cross-border financing and secured lending transactions, including real estate and project finance, syndicated lending, acquisition financing, factoring and asset-based lending. Yoni also advises companies and financial institutions on regulatory compliance and corporate governance.
Prior to joining McMillan, Yoni worked in residential construction as a licensed general contractor. He also served as the lead advocacy and community relations professional for the Québec office of a national human rights organization. Yoni holds leadership positions with various charitable and non-profit organizations.
Incorporating Values into your Practice: A Chat with the Pros Hosted by the McGill JLSAJanuary 2015
Advanced topics in the law of secured transactions: Article 2692 of the Civil Code of Quebec and the Quebec Securities Transfer Act Guest lecture, "Security for Debt", University of Ottawa Faculty of LawApril 2014
Practicing IP and IT in Montreal IP Week, McGill Faculty of LawFebruary 2013
Rankings & Recognition
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada (2021) as a leading lawyer in the areas of Asset-Based Lending, Banking & Finance Law and Project Finance Law
- Recognized in the 2020 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as Repeatedly Recommended in the area of Asset-Based Lending
- Winner in the Lexpert® 2019 Rising Stars Awards: Leading Lawyers Under 40
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada (2020) as a leading lawyer in the areas of Asset-Based Lending and Banking & Finance Law
- Recognized in the 2019 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a Leading Lawyer to Watch in the area of Asset-Based Lending
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada (2019) as a leading lawyer in the areas of Asset-Based Lending and Banking & Finance Law
- Winner in the 2018 Secured Finance Network 40 Under 40 Awards
- Recognized in the 2018 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory as a Leading Lawyer to Watch in the area of Asset-Based Lending
- Corporate Lawyer to Watch – 2017 Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada
- 2017 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory: Leading Lawyers to Watch: Asset-Based Lending
- Medal of Bravery, awarded by the Governor General of Canada in 2001
Yoni is the firm’s Pro Bono Partner for Montreal
Directorships & Affiliations
- Regional Board Member for Ottawa, Quebec & Atlantic Provinces, Canadian Friends of Tel Aviv University
- Board Member and Past President of Association Sépharade de la Banlieue Ouest de Montréal
- Member of the Advisory Council for The Secured Lender
- Member of the Canadian Bar Association
Education & Admissions
Get updates delivered right to your inbox. You can unsubscribe at any time.