Government & Public Policy
McMillan’s Government and Public Policy team is a recognized leader in government relations and public policy issues, with well-established relationships with key decision makers throughout Canada’s federal, provincial and municipal governments. Our clients benefit, in particular, from our strategic partnership with McMillan Vantage, who deliver targeted and comprehensive government and public relations services. It is a full-service, national public affairs firm and the only such consultancy anchored in a national law firm. Collectively, our experienced team offers government relations counsel, policy and regulatory analysis, and strategic communications services to Canadian and international clients.
Through McMillan Vantage, our lawyers help clients manage risks and maximize opportunities in an increasingly competitive and public marketplace of ideas, policies and corporate strategies. We regularly advise corporations, agencies, non-governmental organizations, associations and governments on government relations and public policy issues. We have initiated legislative changes in key areas of governmental activity including taxation, competition law, business law and the regulation of foreign investment.
McMillan’s Government and Public Policy team is focused on facilitating mutually beneficial relationships between governments’ regulatory activities and the interests of our clients. We support clients by:
- Keeping them abreast of legislative developments that could impact their businesses;
- Assisting in the preparation of submissions with respect to legislation;
- Preparing them for public consultations;
- Assisting with the selection of third-party consultants, such as public relations firms and lobbyists;
- Assisting with public policy research and analysis;
- Advising on lobbyist registration, lobbying compliance and ethical obligations at the federal, provincial, territorial and municipal level;
- Advising on election law compliance at all levels of government, including advertising and political financing rules;
- Providing guidance on issues relating to conflict of interest and anti-corruption;
- Representing corporations, other organizations and executives at all stages of investigations, enforcement proceedings and prosecutions for political and integrity law offences.
Deals and Cases
Insights (10 Posts)View More
On November 21, 2023, the Government of Canada released its 2023 Fall Economic Statement. The Economic Statement announced the federal government's intention.
Plan for the Ban: What the Federal Court’s Decision ACTUALLY Means for Your Business – Your Questions Answered
The Court decision in Responsible Plastic Use Coalition v Canada struck down Canada's decision to add plastic manufactured items to the List of Toxic Substances
On October 10, 2023, the OSC and EY jointly released a report on the use of artificial intelligence in Ontario's capital markets.
Supreme Court of Canada Rules Impact Assessment Act Unconstitutional: Implications and Future Directions
Overview of the Supreme Court's ruling of the constitutionality of the Impact Assessment Act and its implications on the energy and natural resource sectors.
Canada-Taiwan FIPA Latest Milestone in Canada’s Indo-Pacific Strategy.
The Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks has proposed amendments to the excess soil regulation, which will come into effect on January 1, 2024
Done Like Dinner: Updated Guidance Published by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency for Simulated Meat and Poultry Products
This bulletin discusses the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA)'s updated guidance for simulated meat and simulated poultry products and adjacent products.
New proposed changes to Investment Canada Act include significant new rules for state-owned enterprises, asset acquisitions, and net-benefit test.
The Office of the Attorney General of Ontario announced that the Lobbyists Registration Act would be reviewed and Premier Ford wants jail time for violators.
This bulletin discusses British Columbia's new Single-Use and Plastic Waste Prevention Regulation.
Get updates delivered right to your inbox. You can unsubscribe at any time.