Privacy and Data Protection
- Assisted a public organization that had suffered a ransomware attack to meet its legal obligations for notifying regulators and affected individuals.
- Reviewed and revised internal privacy and data security policies of a global consulting company for compliance with Canadian privacy laws.
- Assisted a website development company moving into the Canadian market, by revising their internal and external privacy policies.
- Assisted a tourism company to salvage customer data for marketing purposes, in compliance with privacy and anti-spam laws.
- Provided advice to a multi-national employment agency with respect to background check obligations in all provinces and territories in Canada.
- Advised an electric vehicle (EV) manufacturer on proper consent mechanisms for data collected automatically through its vehicles.
- Assisted in developing employee-monitoring policies for Ontario employers.
- Assisted a non-for-profit health-sector company in drafting communications to the federal privacy commissioner in the context of a regulatory investigation.
- Successfully coordinated an appeal of an access to information request in order to assist a company defending an administrative fine.
- Reviewed and revised a global company’s data retention schedules for compliance with legal requirements in Canada.
- Assisted companies navigating the privacy implications of vaccine status collection programs in connection with the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Provided privacy law advice to a private equity firm in connection with its acquisition of a Canadian medical imaging software provider.
- Provided privacy and data security advice to a software company in connection with its acquisition of a rival software provider.
- Provided privacy law advice to a large American management services company in connection with its purchase of a leading Canadian IT services provider.
- Provided privacy law advice to a private equity firm in connection with its acquisition of a global fintech company.