Corporate, Commercial and Securities
- Counsel in precedential OSC case on securities process and disclosure in a conflict of interest transaction (2020 ONSEC 6).
- Represented an intervener before the Supreme Court of Canada in R. v. Comeau, the leading case concerning free trade in Canada under s.121 of the Constitution Act (2018 SCC 15).
- Represented companies in technology, manufacturing and mining industries in litigation matters and related strategy in hostile proxy / control contests.
- Represented a European banking client in an appeal before the Ontario Court of Appeal in a complex 12-year, multi-transfer fraudulent conveyance action.
- Represented an international telecommunications company in defending an interlocutory and permanent injunction based on allegedly misleading advertising statements.
- Represented a ground lease tenant in successfully responding to a leave to appeal application to the Supreme Court of Canada in a dispute regarding a rent reset provision.
- Represented a lender in related bankruptcy and receivership proceedings (2017 ONSC 4107).
- Canadian counsel for SABMiller plc regarding Canadian Competition Bureau clearance of its US $107 billion take-over by Anheuser Busch InBev SA/NV..
- Represented a computer component manufacturer in successfully defeating certification (2021 FC 1185). The case was selected as GCR Litigation of the Year – Cartel Defence.
- Successful contested sequencing application in British Columbia (May 2021).
- Represented an appellant before the Supreme Court of Canada in Pioneer Corp. v. Godfrey, the leading case on certification standards in anti-trust class actions (2019 SCC 42).
- Counsel on various multijurisdictional civil cartel/conspiracy class action proceedings, including cases involving finance (foreign exchange, SSA bonds), computer components (DRAM, ODD), generic drugs, auto parts, caustic soda, salmon and brokerage commissions.
- Counsel to numerous cannabis companies on secondary market securities class actions in Canada and as Canadian counsel for parallel US proceedings.
- Counsel on consumer protection / representation class actions including with respect to pharmaceuticals, credit card overdraft charges, and cocoa supply chains.
- Represented a ground lease tenant in a complex rental reset arbitration.
- Defended a mining company in an international arbitration (LCIA) regarding a claim for a 50% interest in a mining project in Africa arising from an Earn-in agreement.
- Represented a global telecommunications company in an arbitration dealing with a breach of contract dispute.